wsmd home
public notices
dec home > wsmd home > permits > corps of engineers
Corps of Engineers Permits


Section 404 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC 1344) establishes the authority of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) to regulate the discharge of dredged and fill material, and mechanized landclearing in waters of the United States, including wetlands. The basic premise of the Section 404 program is that no discharge of dredged or fill material can be permitted if there is a practicable alternative that is less damaging to the aquatic environment or if the discharge would result in significant degradation of our nation's waters. Different types of Section 404 permits are required depending on the size and nature of the project.

Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899 also authorizes the Corps to regulate work in, over, or under navigable waters of the United States. A Corps permit is required for all work (structures, etc.) below or beyond the ordinary high water line of any navigable water.

The Corps of Engineers coordinates with the Agency of Natural Resources, but the two programs have different rules, regulations, and procedures.

For detailed information on Corps permits and regulations, contact:

Regulatory Division
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District, Vermont Project Office
11 Lincoln Street, Room 210
Essex Junction, VT 05452

802.879.7638 (fax)


Additional Resources



Updated: October 2002

VT DEC Watershed Management Division 1 National Life Drive, Main 2  Montpelier, VT  05620-3522  Tele: 802-828-1535   Fax: 802-828-1544


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2003 State of Vermont - All rights reserved